5 Things to Know for Memorial Day
Check for event times, building closures and more.
- The city’s Memorial Day parade begins at 9 a.m. at City Hall and ends at the cemetery on Highland Drive. According to information from the city, the parade will feature the Brecksville-Broadview Heights High School marching band, members of the American Legion and many members of the community helping to carry the city’s American flag.
- This year’s keynote speaker will be Paula Kancler, the mother of Sgt. Dennis E. Kancler, who died last summer.
- The city will be offering refreshments at the Fire Station after the program.
- The American Legion Post 196 will be hosting a number of events on Memorial Day. According to information from the legion, there will be a Post Everlasting Tribute at 12:30 p.m. in honor of the members who have died since January 2011. There will be a lunch buffet beginning at 1 p.m. that is open to the public, as well as a bake sale in the afternoon.
- Most city buildings will be closed on Monday, including City Hall, the Human Services Center and the Service Department. That means Monday trash and recycling pick-up will be on Tuesday instead. The Brecksville branch of the Cuyahoga County Public Library will also be closed, and the Community Center will only be open from 10 a.m. until 5 p.m.