Frugal Family: Farmer's Markets
Visiting farmer's markets is an interesting way to shop and support local farmers as well.
Summertime means that farmer’s markets will be open again for the growing season. Visiting a farmer’s market can be a fun family outing, and it’s a great way to get locally grown produce, eggs, meat and more. Some have live music, chefs, art and jewelry. Here are some farmer’s markets near Brecksville:
1. Countryside Farmers' Market at Howe Meadow. Located at 4040 Riverview Road, Peninsula, Ohio.
Deal: Depending on what’s in season, you might find organic and heirloom produce, fresh flowers, poultry, eggs, fruit, maple syrup and much more.
They also have several locations, so check the website for more information on places and times.
Good Until: Market open on Saturdays from 9 a.m. until 12 p.m., May 14 through Oct. 29.
2. Tremont Farmer’s Market. Located at Lincoln Park, on West 14th Street in Tremont.
Deal: This eclectic market will have fruits and vegetables, beef, home-made pies, live music, chef demos and much more.
Good Until: Market hours are Tuesdays from 4 p.m. until 7 p.m., May 3 through Oct. 25.
3. North Union Farmer’s Market at Cleveland State University. Located in the greenspace in front of Marshall Law School at 1930 Euclid Avenue between East 18th and East 19th Streets, Cleveland.
Deal: This lunchtime market features local vendors with locally grown produce, lunches prepared with local food and much more. Parking is available in the south CSU parking lot at East 18th and Carnegie for $1.
North Union has several other markets as well. Check their website for more information.
Good Until: Market Hours are Thursdays from 11 a.m. to 2p.m. From June 9 through Nov. 17.
4. The Farmer’s Market at Stearns Homestead. Located at 6975 Ridge Road, Parma.
Deal: All local vendors with products including produce, eggs, honey, bakery, Amish made goods, pierogies, bison meat, and much more.
Good Until: Market hours are Saturdays from 9 a.m. until 1 p.m., June 25 through the end of September.
5. Coit Road Farmer's Market. Located at 15000 Woodworth Road,
East Cleveland, OH 44110.
Deal: This Farmer's Market has been around for more than 75 years and seemingly has a bit of everything including fresh produce from local growers, honey, organic meats, eggs, baked goods and even knife sharpening.
Good Until: Market hours of operation are Wednesdays from 8 a.m. until 1 p.m., April through mid-December and Satudays from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m., year round.