Brecksville-Broadview Heights High School honored its fall student athletes Wednesday night at the Fall Sports Awards Reception.
Coaches for each sport took a few minutes at the front of the crowd to discuss the teams' accomplishments on and off the field this fall, naming scholar-athletes and MVPs for each team.
Here are the fall MVPs:
- Girls Tennis: Abby Smith — Smith was “feisty and tenacious” on the court, said Coach Dan Reynolds. She was also the scholar-athlete for the team.
- Boys Cross Country: Nick Perozeni — Perozeni leads by example and lets his hard work speak for him, Coach Bob Schank said.
- Girls Cross Country: Olivia Cook and Melissa Rains — Schank said he didn’t like naming two MVPs, but it was too difficult to pick just one this season. Cook and Rains both helped carry the team to victory. The girls cross country team was the Southwestern Conference champion and third in the district.
- Cheerleading: Mea Weaver and Madison Weisbarth — Coach Jessica Harnist opted to give these two cheerleaders a coaches award, rather than name MVPs. The cheerleaders took first in the Southwestern Conference.
- Football: Tom Tupa — Tupa was a great leader who took control of the game, said Coach Jason Black. The football team was third in the Southwestern Conference this year.
- Volleyball: Nikki D’Anna — D’Anna is a talented, dependable player with a “bright future,” said Coach Terri Ehret.
- Girls Golf: Paige Zelis — Zelis consistently led the team in scoring, said Coach Greg Roderick.
- Boys Golf: Mark Chrzanowski — Chrzanowski was the MVP for the second year in a row and this year’s scholar-athlete, said Coach Tom Mulhall. The team won the Southwestern Conference and sectionals.
- Girls Soccer: Sarah Sivic and Allison Stucky — Assistant Coach Brian Stucky said he’s seen these two play soccer since they were four, sometimes with each other and sometimes against. The team won the Southwestern Conference this year.
- Boys Soccer: Nate Korczynski — Korczynski was a great leader and “the glue that held us together,” said Coach Mike Battista.
Did you take some photos during or after the Fall Sports Awards Reception? Add them above by clicking "Upload Photos and Videos." You can post as many as you'd like, and captions are welcome.