Theft is up in Brecksville, according to new data from the FBI.
The FBI released its annual crime report late last month, and the numbers show that Brecksville had more thefts in 2011 than the previous four years. It’s not a big jump, but it’s a change that goes against national trends.
According to the FBI’s data:
- There were 58 thefts in Brecksville in 2011.
- There were 47 thefts in 2010, 41 in 2009, 54 in 2008 and 53 in 2007.
- There was a small decline—0.7 percent—in larceny-theft offenses across the country in 2011.
Theft is not a violent crime. It’s classified by the FBI as a property crime, and defined as stealing something without using force, violence or fraud. It takes place outside a home and includes crimes like shoplifting and bicycle theft.
Burglary, on the other hand, involves entering a residence or other structure to steal or commit a felony. There were just 12 burglaries in Brecksville in 2011, up one from 2010.
Other types of crime, especially violent crime, were low in Brecksville last year. There were two aggravated assaults, one motor vehicle theft, one robbery and zero murders, forcible rapes or arson listed in the report.
The Brecksville Police chief could not be reached as of publication to comment on these new statistics, but the numbers do align closely with the department’s own report for 2011.
- Theft was Brecksville's Most Common Crime in 2011
- Police Chief Names Identity Theft, Theft from Cars Some of 2011’s Biggest Issues
- Police Remind Residents to Lock Car Doors in Light of Recent Thefts
- Theft is the Most Common Crime in Brecksville for 2010
- For A Merry Christmas, Don’t Forget to Lock Cars, Watch Purses
See More on Patch
- Donkeys On The Lam & Meth Lab Explosions: Best of the Blotter
- Fifth Brecksville Bomb Plot Suspect ‘Competent’ for Court
- Week in Review: Red Brick Store Opens; Lottery Tickets Stolen; and New Service Building Coming This Year
- Week in Review: Identity Theft; Pot Charges on I-77; and Effects of Sequester to Hit Brecksville
- Police K-9 Sniffs Out Marijuana