It's August. Wow! Where has the summer gone? In just a few short few weeks your preschooler will be heading to school. Put your fears at ease. He/she (and you) will do great. This month, here's some tips on getting ready for the big day:
(1) Talk positively about school. School is going to be filled with adventures and excitement. Relate your favorite preschool memories and ask your preschooler about what they are most looking forward to this coming year.
(2) Meet up with preschool buddies. At the Brecksville Co-op, our classes meet each month during the summer for some playtime. If your preschool doesn't have set play dates, call friends in your class and have a short playtime in the park.
(3) Visit the preschool during the summer. Even if the school is closed during the summer, drive by, get out and if available, allow them to play on the playground.
(4) Let them be in charge. With some guidance, help them pick out a new favorite "first day" shirt or a new take home project bag. Let them plan the "first day" dinner for the evening. Remember, to keep it simple and and keep the mall clothes at home -- they are bound to get messy!
(5) Attend transition days. At the Co-op, both 3s and 4s start the school year off with shortened transition days. This helps to ease back into the swing of things and allows for greater adventures to come.