Friday, November 16, 2012
The costs to the district will be minimal.
Repairs are already underway on the faulty heating, ventilating and air conditioning unit that caused a brief evacuation at the middle school on Thursday, said Larry Tomec, the district’s director of business services. The small mechanical failure burnt some of the wiring in the defective transformer, Tomec said, but there was no danger to the students or staff at Brecksville-Broadview Heights Middle School. Broadview Heights’ Assistant Fire Chief Joe Fleming said there was probably no visible flame on Thursday—if there was any, it would have been contained inside the heating and cooling unit. The motor started to short and overheat the plastic inside, Fleming said. And, because the motor was used to push hot and cool air through the …
Thursday, November 15, 2012
The fire was on the roof and quickly resolved. Class will be in session on Friday.
There was a small fire at Brecksville-Broadview Heights Middle School on Thursday afternoon that briefly disrupted class and sent students outside, said Superintendent Scot Prebles. A motor for ventilation on the roof above the 8th grade wing caught on fire around 1:30 p.m., Prebles said. Some smoke entered the building and students were evacuated. Broadview Heights Fire Department responded and quickly identified the source. Prebles said students were allowed to return to class. The 8th grade was sent to the gymnasium, away from the smoke, for the last hour of the day. There were no injuries and the motor should be able to be repaired over the weekend, Prebles said. The school is turning up the heat over night so that the building is…
Wednesday, May 30, 2012
The Broadview Heights Fire Department does not think the fire was suspicious.
Broadview Heights Fire Chief Jeffrey Hajek said the investigation into the fire at Brecksville-Broadview Heights High School is complete, but the department was unable to pinpoint a specific cause. The fire is not considered suspicious, though, and Hajek said the department still thinks the fire began with some rags in a trashcan in the wood shop. The fire began in the afternoon on May 17, and school was closed on May 18. Larry Tomec, director of business services for the district, said there was little physical damage, but the school had smoke damage and water to clean up after the fire.
Tuesday, May 22, 2012
The building will be covered by insurance, but damages are estimated to be about $200,000.
Last week’s fire at Brecksville-Broadview Heights High School is still under investigation, but Broadview Heights Fire Chief Jeffrey Hajek said he thinks it started with some stain-soaked rags in a trash can in the wood shop. Hajek said that kind of fire happens more often than people think. The fire was not thought to be intentional—the doors to the wood shop were locked and no one had been inside for about an hour. There was very little physical damage, but the school had to work quickly to clean up the smoke damage, said Larry Tomec, director of business services for the Brecksville-Broadview Heights schools. The fire started Thursday afternoon, after school was out. The school was closed on Friday. The fire was contained to the wood …
Thursday, May 17, 2012
Cleanup necessary after small fire in wood shop Thursday afternoon.
Brecksville-Broadview Heights High School will be closed on Friday, May 18 following a small fire in the building's wood shop. Extensive cleaning and air quality testing must take place before the building can be opened, according to the district web site. No one will be allowed into the building without permission from the high school principal or the superintendent. Prom activities scheduled for the weekend will go on as usual. Students in extra-curricular actitivites or sports can expect to hear from their coaches or advisors. No one was hurt in the fire, reports Channel 19 News. The school was evacuated and the sprinkler system extinguished the flames. Its cause remains under investigation.
Thursday, April 12, 2012
There is a voluntary recall on a toy exclusively sold at Kohl's.
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission announced a voluntary recall on toy truck gifts given with the purchase of boys T-shirts exclusively at Kohl's because one caught fire and three others were smoldering. The toy is battery operated and there have been reports that the battery compartment can smolder or catch the trucks on fire, posing a fire and burn hazard to consumers, according to a Fire Service Alert forwarded to Patch by Stow Fire Safety Educator Sandy Ray. No injuries have been reported. This recall involves Big Movers Super Car toy trucks that were gifts with the purchase of Big Movers T-shirts that were sold between February and March. The 4-inch long blue trucks have over-sized tires and a flashing light on top and were …